Why Solway Sixth Form?
Are you interested in joining our 6th form and having all the advantages that a small friendly, caring school has to offer? Small classes tailored to your needs delivered by dedicated professionals. Experienced pastoral team to help you both achieve your potential and plan for your future from 2017.
In collaboration with Caldew School we are able to provide you with this fantastic opportunity.
- You must attend all morning registration periods and whole school assemblies each week
- You will still have taught lessons, some of which might be outside normal school hours
- You will have an opportunity to continue with PE There will still be homework set, and deadlines to meet
- It is expected that you will be good ambassadors for the school and show due care and consideration for others
- You will be expected to continue to play a role as school leaders as the most senior students in school
- You are here by choice.
- You are provided with a dedicated 6th form area completed with IT facilities that you can both study and relax in.
- Unlike years 10 and 11 where you had to study a large number of subjects, you will choose fewer subjects in which you have an interest and proven ability.
- You are responsible for managing your time much more. You need to manage your social life, possible part time employment, sport and extracurricular interests, as well as your schoolwork. The key is to find the right balance between all these demands. There is no set formula for this; you need to strike this balance to suit your particular strengths.
- Sixth Form is a stepping-stone between formal school and further study or employment, where you will be an independent learner. Lecturers at college or employers will not chase you for work or remind you about deadlines, or supply you with copious notes and support! Students in the Sixth Form take far more responsibility for themselves and their studies. So, in the sixth form, you have to undertake background reading and study in support of your studies. This is important. You should also make sure you catch up on any missed work; this is your responsibility, not your teachers’ nor your friends’ nor your parents’. We advise that you spend a minimum of two hours of private study each day.
- You will find a different, more informal way of working with your teachers. You will be in small teaching groups and this should encourage you to take responsibility for your learning, asking more questions and challenging ideas more openly.
- School uniform is replaced by a dress code. We expect you to dress smartly, as would be appropriate in any working office environment. Privileges include the freedom to sign out and leave the school site during at lunchtime if you so wish.
If you would like the opportunity to study with us at Solway Sixth Form, please complete the application form and return to school as soon as possible.
We look forward to discussing your options and future and welcoming you to further study at Solway School. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs Cooper, Mrs Tallontyre or Mrs Schafer Headteacher, at any time. We will all be pleased to help and advise you on the best options for you.