Subject: Physical Education
Department Teachers: Mrs D Taylor (Head of Department) & Mr C Ferrie
Core PE- all years
Personalisation and choice are provided when and where possible within PE. Participation is mandatory and students must bring PE kit for every PE lesson without exception. Students who are unable to perform practically, through illness or injury, will be able to access a more appropriate learning programme so they do not miss out.
Students will be taught to:
- use a range of tactics and strategies to overcome opponents in direct competition through team and individual games [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders, rugby and table tennis]
- develop their technique and improve their performance in other competitive sports [for example, athletics and gymnastics]
- perform dances using advanced dance techniques in a range of dance styles and forms
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activities which present intellectual and physical challenges and be encouraged to work in a team, building on trust and developing skills to solve problems, either individually or as a group
- analyse their performances compared to previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best
- take part in competitive sports and activities outside school through community links or sports clubs
A full range of after school activities are available including our excellent inter-house competitions which run regularly. Our extra curricular clubs are open to every student and this gives them the chance to improve their skills or just to turn up for fun. Levels of inclusion are always very high as students enjoy PE at Solway!
BTEC Level 1 / 2 First Award in Sport- Course overview
What are BTEC Firsts?
- Courses designed to introduce learners to different vocational sectors. e.g. engineering, music, technology, SPORT!
- Skills learned in these courses will aid progression into further study / work
- Encourage personal performance and development through practical participation and performance in a range of sports and exercise activities.
- Give learners a wider understanding and appreciation of health-related fitness, sports and exercise through a selection of optional specialist units.
- Give learners the opportunity to progress to higher level qualifications.
What will I study?
Training for Personal Fitness
This unit aims to help you improve your personal level of fitness
- Design a personal training programme – how, when, what, why?
- Understand exercise adherence factors & strategies to keep you training
- Take part in a self-designed training programme that meets your goals and objectives
- Review your training programme
This unit aims to help you improve your knowledge and performance in TWO selected sports.
- Understand the rules and regulations
- Practically demonstrate the skills, techniques and tactics
- Review sports performance
Leading Sports Activities
Introduces you to sports leadership, helping you start on the ladder of leadership and coaching.
- Know the attributes of successful leadership
- Plan and lead sports activities
- Review your sessions
Fitness for Sports & Exercise
Enables the learner to consolidate their strength and conditioning knowledge.
- Understand the types of fitness and principles of training
- Understand different fitness training methods
- Fitness testing
75% Internal Assessment
- 4 Units- 15 Assignments – practical and written assignments.
– 1 Hour online exam on one unit (Fitness for sports & exercise)
If you have any questions regarding PE/BTEC PE please get in to with the office who can direct you to our PE department.