Head of Department: Mrs D Taylor
All students get to oppotunity in KS3 to learn and develop their cooking skills at Solway.
A qualification in the Food industry focuses on practical cooking skills to ensure students develop a thorough understanding of nutrition, food provenance and the working characteristics of food materials. At its heart, this qualification focuses on nurturing students’ practical cookery skills to give them a strong understanding of nutrition.
This programme of study could support you in a number of different careers relating to the food industry by providing you with key information and techniques to progress onto further education.
Learning outcomes for this programme may include:
- demonstrate effective and safe cooking skills by planning, preparing and cooking using a variety of food commodities, cooking techniques and equipment
- develop knowledge and understanding of the functional properties and chemical processes as well as the nutritional content of food and drinks
- understand the relationship between diet, nutrition and health, including the physiological and psychological effects of poor diet and health
- understand the economic, environmental, ethical, and socio-cultural influences on food availability, production processes, and diet and health choices
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of functional and nutritional properties, sensory qualities and microbiological food safety considerations when preparing, processing, storing, cooking and serving food
- understand and explore a range of ingredients and processes from different culinary traditions (traditional British and international), to inspire new ideas or modify existing recipes.
-Traditional Careers in Food include:
-Unique Careers in Food:
Bed & Breakfast Owner, Cookbook Author, Food Entrepreneur, Professional Food Forager, Research Chef & Restaurant Publicist.
-Manufacturing & Food Science Careers:
Agricultural or Food Science Technician, Food Scientist or Technologist & Food Batchmakers